Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Opening Comments

I've been a Red Sox fan for about as long as I can remember. The number one question I get about this is "Why?" Well, my parents were born and raised in the Northeast, and while my mom didn't care much about baseball, my dad was a die-hard Sox fanatic. Naturally, he wanted to pass this down to his kids. My older sister didn't show an interest in baseball until we moved to Atlanta, and she became a Braves fan by default. My older brother loved the color green before he ever picked up a t-ball,  so naturally, when he gained his interest, his favorite team was the one with the green jerseys, a.k.a., The Florida Marlins. His four-year old logic couldn't be swayed, so my parents fed his passion by letting him be the biggest Marlins fan a kid could be. So that leaves me, the youngest child and my father's last resort, in a sense. He began calling me into the room to watch a replay while throwing in some baseball history and somewhere along the way I picked up the rules and players' names. Before I knew it, I was a girl who loved baseball, and even more importantly The Boston Red Sox. The part I loved the most, though, was how it brought my dad and I closer together, and I'm thankful for that.

So truth be told, I started this blog for class credit. Two of my classes this semester have asked me to start one, so here it is. I'm actually excited to start this blog, though, because it's a topic I love to talk and learn more about. It's perfect timing as well because the Sox are on fire and it's almost time for the playoffs. I plan on using this blog to follow the road to October and reflect on what it is the Sox have done this year to get them in such a great position at this point in the season. Maybe it'll give my twitter a break from my ranting at the same time. Enjoy!

-Becca

1 comment:

  1. I too can thank your father for my being a Sox fan. When he began dating my sister I was 10 and the Sox were having a great season...and his passion for the team was contagious... and yet another fan was born. That was almost 40 years ago. I am excited to follow your blog through (hopefully) a successful Sox-tober

    ReplyDelete