Sunday, September 22, 2013

Why I Love Mike Napoli

Mike Napoi is by far my favorite Red Sox player for so many reasons. That's why I'm making him the first player I profile in my "Why I Love.." series. Sit tight, and prepare to discover a new adoration for the Nap. He was picked up as a free agent in the off season and has brought something to the team that we desperately needed: Moxie. Sort of like a modern day Ted Williams. He fits the profile of what a Red Sox player should be perfectly. He also filled the gap left in Sox fan's hearts when we lost Youkilis, which is no easy feat. Needless to say there are plenty of reasons to be a fan of him, but here are just a few more.


1. He wears his socks on the outside

A true traditionalist, he sports the classic look that I find irresistible. He and Will Middlebrooks are the only two players that show of their red socks on the reg. Hats off to you, gentlemen. You're doing it right.


2. He's #12

My all-time favorite number, and my birthdate. I always like players with this number above all others, and I'm waiting on the day that I get my Nap shirt, so I can sport my lucky number as well as my favorite player. 


3. The Beard

Ladies? Anyone else think that he pulls the look off better than any other infielder? Even, dare I say, the man who started the trend himself, Pedroia. Explosive. That’s the only word for Naps extendo-beard.  It just keeps going and going, much like his home runs.


4. His stats are insane

This season has been a personal best for Napoli. He's had 78 runs, 90 RBIs and 125 hits so far. He's also had the most at-bats of his career. Not to mention, he's hit two grand slams this season. One against the Oakland A's back in April and another against the Yankees in the most recent series. Two teams in the AL that I dislike, so that makes me love him even more so.


5. He's priceless

Although the Sox only signed him to a one-year contract, I have a strong feeling that they will re-sign him to a longer deal. He was originally supposed to sign with us for three, but a physical evaluation that showed he had hip issues back in December took the deal down. If he does resign, it won't be cheap! He's proved his worth on the team and the city has accepted him and loves him.

So there you have it, five reasons why everyone should love Mike Napoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment